Year 7 Languages
Daramalan College offers three languages: French, German and Japanese.
Prior to enrolment, students nominate one of these languages to study during Year 7. In 2017, students will continue to study this language for one semester in Year 8. Students may choose to continue their language from Year 9 onwards.
All Language courses aim to:
- promote students’ communicative skills using simple language structures
- develop students’ understanding of the systematic nature of language, which in turn enhances their understanding of their own language
- extend students’ general literacy
- encourage students’ enjoyment of language and language learning
- assist students to acquire skills which can be transferred to other learning areas
- increase students’ awareness of other cultures and peoples.
Students study their chosen language on a shared line all year. Students who have some background in the language will be catered for with extension work. The courses in all languages cover themes such as greetings, introducing self and others, colours and animals.
Playing simple games, reciting rhymes and chants, greeting each other, identifying and naming objects, singing, participating in role plays, using language-based computer programs, researching topics related to the country or countries where the language is spoken.